The Internet Archive copy of the "Ancient Route" site by Rod Baird
Until early March 2006 at: http://www.ancientroute.com/
A site devoted to exploring the ancient trade routes around the Mediterranean. Generally, we stay near the Mediterranean, which still covers a lot of area. The time covered is from about the beginning of writing until 400 AD [CE]. This covers the fall of the Roman Empire, the beginnings of Christianity, and up to but not including, the rise of Islam. Eventually, you will be able to follow a series of routes all the way around the Mediterranean. [...]
* King’s Highway - from Egypt across the Sinai, through Jordan into Syria, through Damascus and Palmyra, ending at the Euphrates.
* Silk Road - the Silk Road from Baghdad to Kashmir, China.
* Way of the Sea - through Palestine along the coast, cutting through Megiddo and on to Damascus, Syria.
* Royal Road - from Smyrna, through the land of the Hittites, into Armenia, and ending at Babylon.
* Lower Road - a later version of the Royal Road, which began in Ephesus, went through southern Turkey, into Syria , through Aleppo and ended at Babylon.
* Amber Road - begins in north Italy, goes through Yugoslavia to the Danube in Hungary.
Please note that the above details were correct on the day this post was published. To suggest an update, please email the site's editor at firstname.lastname@example.org